Renewable Interconnections

You may be eligible to sell us electricity at negotiated rates and conditions if you own qualifying generation such as wind, solar or hydroelectric that interconnects directly to the electric grid of eligible members of North Carolina Electric Membership Corporation. Unless otherwise negotiated, under these options for the purchase of qualifying energy, you as the generator owner would maintain all Renewable Energy Certificates associated with the output.

What is a Qualifying Facility (QF)?

Qualifying Facilities are a class of generators recognized under the Public Utility Regulatory Policies Act of 1978 (PURPA).  There are two types of QFs; small power producers up to 80 MW (typically fueled by renewable resources), or cogeneration facilities.

How do I obtain QF status?

An owner or operator of a generating facility with a maximum net power production capacity of greater than 1 MW (1,000 kW) may obtain QF status by either submitting a self-certification to the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, or applying for and obtaining a Commission certification of QF status, and must do so by completing and electronically filing a FERC Form No. 556 with the Commission. FERC Order No. 732 does not require facilities with net capacity of 1 MW or less to make a filing with the Commission to claim QF status, although applicants for such facilities may seek certification if they wish to do so.

For full details and information, see

All Qualifying Facility generator developers that intend to sell energy to NCEMC are fully responsible for adhering to all utility requirements, applicable federal rules and regulations, state and local ordinances and regulations adopted by the North Carolina Utilities Commission.  This website does not establish a legal or binding arrangement; it is intended solely to provide access to general information about potential options that may be available through NCEMC. Generators are responsible for consulting with appropriate legal and energy professionals in determining if generation ownership is the right choice and for assistance in navigating applicable requirements and procedures.

How to Sell Energy from Qualifying Generation 500 kW and Greater

Developers of generators may sell the electricity generated by their renewable sources by directly interconnecting with NCEMC’s members’ electric facilities. Below is a step-by-step outline for interconnecting and contracting to sell energy from a Qualifying Facility with generating capacity 500kW and greater.

Note: The step sequence below is a suggestion intended solely to provide access to general information about potential options that may be available.

Step 1: File the NCUC Report of Proposed Construction or Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity
All generation facilities must file the Report of Proposed Construction, or if more than 2 megawatts (MW), receive a Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity from the North Carolina Utilities Commission (NCUC). This report provides the necessary notification to install a renewable generation facility in the state of North Carolina.

The following information is provided to assist customers in meeting requirements under N.C. General Statutes and is not intended to interpret or replace provisions of any statute or regulation.

What you need to know

  • The State of North Carolina requires that a Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity (CPCN) be obtained before a customer commences construction of a generating facility. See N.C.G.S. §62-110.1 for complete text.
  • Section (g) of the statute exempts facilities under 2 MW that are fueled by a renewable energy resource. However, generators that are exempt must provide a Report of Proposed Construction to the NCUC prior to construction.
  • NCEMC requires that all generators intending to sell power to the utility receive appropriate certification or submit a Report of Proposed Construction.

Getting Started:

CPCN Requirements

NCUC Rule R8-64 provides information required to submit a CPCN Application. Please submit a copy of your filed CPCN application to NCEMC at:


Hard copy:
Charlie Bayless
Vice President, Senior Regulatory Counsel
P.O. Box 27306
Raleigh, NC 27611-7306

Or delivery:
3400 Sumner Boulevard
Raleigh, NC 27616

Report of Proposed Construction Requirements (generators under 2 MW fueled by renewable resources)

NCUC Rule R8-65 provides information required to submit a Report of Proposed Construction.

Listed below is a blank copy that can be modified. Mailing information is included within the report for your convenience. The docket number must be provided to NCEMC.

Visit the NCUC website to acquire the docket number once the document is filed with the Commission. Search Tip: Search for the docket number filing in the “All documents by date” section and select “SP-Small Power Producer” in the “For company types” section

Contact Information for NCUC:

For USPS mail:
North Carolina Utilities Commission
4325 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-4325

For FedEx, UPS or other overnight service:
North Carolina Utilities Commission
Dobbs Building
430 North Salisbury Street
Raleigh, NC 27603-5918

Step 2: Request Approval to Interconnect
All generation developers that install renewable generation who intend to interconnect or operate in parallel with the utility grid must adhere to all requirements and conditions of the NCEMC member. Developers that own qualifying generation facilities such as solar and wind will begin the interconnection process by contacting the NCEMC member and then submitting an Interconnection Request to the NCEMC member in which an interconnection agreement is sought.

Step 3: Submit Notice of Commitment to Sell Output
Once a developer of a generator has met certain requirements, the “Notice of Commitment to Sell the Output of a Qualifying Facility to NCEMC” form is submitted to NCEMC to establish a legally enforceable obligation (LEO).

Step 4: Execute Interconnection Agreement
Execute an Interconnection Agreement with the NCEMC member to which the generator is interconnecting.

Step 5: Negotiate a Power Purchase Agreement (PPA)
A PPA establishes the conditions, contract length of term and rate for which the electricity will be purchased.

To begin this process, contact:

Charlie Bayless
Vice President, Senior Regulatory Counsel

P.O. Box 27306
Raleigh, NC 27611-7306